Somerset headed back to the relative comfort of the Specsavers County Championship to tackle top-of-the-table Middlesex at the Cooper Associates County Ground. The Londoners sit at the summit on 118 points, 1 more than joint second-placed Lancashire and Warwickshire with all three teams playing nine games each.
Somerset sit 6th with 93 points achieved in eight games. Last time out the cider county were denied a victory by the weather with Hampshire well and truly on the ropes. The same could have been said of the games against Yorkshire, Lancashire and Warwickshire but it is what it is and a win against Middlesex would move the club nicely up the table.
The team go into this game having endured four successive defeats in one day cricket but have been more competitive in the longer format this season. They will have to do without the services of young opener Tom Abell who is still injured and Johan Myburgh should get the nod to replace him.
Umpires: Steve Garratt and David Millns
ESPN Cricinfo scorecard here
Somerset team: C Rogers, M Trescothick, J Myburgh, J Hildreth, J Allenby, P Trego, C Overton, J Overton, A Barrow†, T Groenewald, J Leach
Morning: The toss was contested and Middlesex elected to field first.
- Early success for Middlesex 4 balls into the second over when Myburgh edged one to Simpson off Fuller. 6-1.
- Tres was joined by Buck and the two put on 71 in 14 overs. Tres had looked good but he inside edged Harris onto his stumps for 35 just as he looked set. 77-1 off 15.5 overs.
- Hildy entered the fray and looked ready to score big hitting 2×4 and 1×6 early on. In the 4th over he was snared LBW by Fuller to give him his second wicket and 115-3 now.
- Allenby joined Buck who passed his 50 in the 24th over hitting Franklin for 10 runs including 2x4s.
- At lunch Somerset were 125-3 with Rogers 56* and Allenby 5*
Afternoon: To follow