Welcome return to form and fitness for Adam Dibble with nine wickets against Hampshire

Dibbs4Second XI Championship – Somerset Second XI v Hampshire Second XI – Taunton Vale, August 11-13, 2014

Somerset 244 all out (Davey 97, Burke 28, Regan 25, Jones 20, King 5-60, Shaw 4-35) and 261 (Burke 61, Rouse 50, Jones 39, Abell 36, Regan 33, Brathwaite 3-35, King 3-53) drew with Hampshire Second XI 218 all out (McManus 57*, Foley 42, Robinson 27, Dibble 6-57, Stewart 2-11, Davey 2-55) and 174-6 (McManus 48*, Robinson 39, Khan 32, Dibble 3-34).

Somerset:11 points, Hampshire: 11 points

At the start of this season, young fast bowler Adam Dibble told The InCider his priority for 2014 was to get fit and then stay fit.

Link to the interview in May here: https://www.thein-cider.co.uk/adam-dibble-fitness-first-12th-may-2014/

It was an understandable goal for the 23-year-old after his past two seasons were blighted by injury, all the more frustrating after showing glimpses of the phenomenal talent he possesses.

It was therefore a welcome sight to see Adam running through the Hampshire batting order for Somerset Seconds this week, showing that he’s clearly back to somewhere approaching his best. And, importantly, showing how well his recovery has gone.

Dibble returned to play for the Seconds in late June after a hamstring injury put him out of action for six weeks at the beginning of the season and last week recorded his then best figures of the year so far as he took 4-26 to help beat Gloucestershire Second XI inside two days.

This week he stepped up another gear. After Josh Davey removed Hampshire opener Michael Porter at the start of the visitors’ first innings for 7, Dibble then took the next five wickets to fall, and finished off by bowling the number 11 to record superb figures of 22.2-3-57-6.

Then when Hampshire batted again, needing 288 runs to win, he took three further wickets in 12 overs to leave Hampshire in trouble at 79-4, a long way behind, before the visitors managed to hold out for a draw.

Adam received plenty of messages of congratulations after the game, including tweets from his current league club side Sidmouth, his former club side Taunton and Somerset assistant coach Pete Sanderson.

dibbs twitter

Somerset first innings

Earlier, Somerset, who had been put into bat by Hampshire, lost two early wickets in their first innings, including Chris Jones who made 20. But Josh Davey, who made a fine 97, found willing partners in James Burke and James Regan and set about building a total.

Davey and Burke put on 52 at a steady rate in 20 overs before the latter was trapped lbw for 28.

Davey and Regan then upped the pace, taking 73 off 17.3 overs to take Somerset to 159, before Regan was the fourth man out, caught behind for 25.

Davey, assisted by Waller (16) and Rouse (11) took the score to 220 when Davey finally went, agonisingly three short of what would have been an excellent century, one of five victims for Matthew King. Andrew Clarke followed Davey back to the pavilion without scoring and Somerset were 220-7.

Dibble hit a couple of boundaries, but when three wickets fell in the space of seven balls with the score on 244, Somerset were out for a total somewhat less than they would have hoped earlier in their innings when Davey was at the crease.

Hampshire first innings

Davey and Dibble soon made inroads into the Hampshire first innings though, and the visitors went in at stumps on day one in the uncomfortable position of 31-3, Dibble with figures of 2-22 and Davey 1-9.

The following morning Dibble claimed his third wicket when he had Robinson caught by Max Waller for a quickfire 27 and Hampshire were 51-4.

The visitors then set about rebuilding their innings thanks to a 101-run stand for the fifth wicket in 38.1 overs from Lewis McManus (57*) and Foley (42).

Inevitably it was that man Dibble who broke the partnership, having Foley caught by Davey after a patient 42 off 152 balls.

Six overs later, Dibble claimed his five-fer when he had Khan caught by Abell for 10. Josh Davey picked up a further wicket before Callum Stewart claimed two tailenders in an extremely economical spell of bowling which earned him figures of 13-6-11-2.

With Dibble nipping out last man Tom Barber for 13 (after a frustrating 34-minute stay at the crease), Hampshire were all out for 218, earning Somerset a slender first innings lead of 26.

Somerset second innings

Batting again, Somerset got off to a stronger start this time, as Jones and Abell shared a 71-run opening stand in 12.4 overs, before Jones was bowled for 39.

Abell was joined by James Burke and the pair added a further 35, before Abell was trapped lbw for 36.

Davey was unable to follow up his form of the first innings and was dismissed without scoring, but Burke was joined by Regan and the pair set about adding 66 runs in 15.4 overs. Burke made a fine 61 off 77 balls with six fours, while Regan reached 33 off 64 balls with a similar number of boundaries.

But when Burke and Regan both fell on the third morning, Somerset collapsed from a healthy 180-3 to 196-8, just 222 ahead of Hampshire.

Somerset were therefore indebted to Tim Rouse who made exactly 50 off 58 balls with five fours and put on 65 for the ninth wicket with George Dockrell (17) in 11.1 overs. When both men were out in the 58th over with the score on 261, Somerset were 287 ahead and an intriguing final afternoon was in prospect.

Hampshire second innings

Hampshire got off to the worst possible start, losing two wickets to Dibble in the fifth over of their innings with the score just 15.

Hampshire advanced to 53 when Burke removed the stubborn Luke Webb who’d batted almost an hour in making 6. It was then 79-4 when Dibble claimed his third wicket – and ninth in the match – when he had the dangerous Robinson, who’d made 39 off 43 balls, caught by Dockrell.

Hampshire were still 208 behind and badly needed a partnership, which Khan and McManus produced, putting on 53 runs for fifth wicket in 16.5 overs, which more importantly occupied the crease for just over an hour.

Khan (32 off 57 balls with four fours) and Ruel Braithwaite fell in quick succession to the spin of Dockrell and Waller respectively and Somerset would still have been scenting victory with their opponents on 141-6, still 146 behind.

But Carpenter joined McManus and played an innings of 4* off 42 balls in 35 minutes which Geoff Boycott would have been proud of to deny Somerset any further wickets and ensure the draw. Hampshire finished on 174-6 with McManus unbeaten on 48* off 127 balls with eight fours.

(Full Somerset bowling figures: First innings: AJ Dibble 22.2-3-57-6, JH Davey 20-7-55-2, JE Burke 17-5-41-0, CM Stewart 13-6-11-2, GH Dockrell 7-1-22-0, ORT Sale 4-1-14-0, MTC Waller 1-0-5-0; Second innings: AJ Dibble 12-3-34-3, JH Davey 7-2-20-0, JE Burke 8-1-17-1, ORT Sale 4-0-23-0, CM Stewart 7-1-22-0, GH Dockrell 10-2-36-1, MTC Waller 5-2-4-1, AD Clarke 2-1-3-0)

The Seconds’ final match in the south division of this season’s Second XI Championship will take place from Monday September 1 to Wednesday September 3 against Sussex at Blackstone Cricket Club Ground, No1 Pitch.

We’ll include a full report on that game on the InCider.


(In the Second XI Championship, teams can select more than 11 players, but only 11 of them can bat and only 11 can field, so for Somerset Stewart bowled and fielded, but did not bat).

Somerset Second XI: CR Jones, TB Abell, JE Burke, JH Davey, JA Regan+, MTC Waller*, TD Rouse, AD Clarke, AJ Dibble, GH Dockrell, ORT Sale, CM Stewart

Hampshire Second XI: LA Webb, MJ Porter, JS Gatting*, OER Robinson, LD McManus+, M Khan, RMR Brathwaite, ME Carpenter, SA Shaw, JF Foley, TE Barber, MJ King

Scorecard: http://totalcricketscorer.com/TCSLive/tcsscorecard.aspx?id=26707

Second XI 50 over Trophy – Somerset Second XI v Hampshire Second XI

The day after the three-day championship game, Somerset Seconds met their Hampshire counterparts again, this time for their final divisional match in the Second XI 50-over One Day Trophy.

In the game, also at Taunton Vale, Hampshire batted first and reached 32-2 before the rains came and sadly washed out play for the rest of the day. The match was abandoned as a draw with each team taking a point each.